Sunday, September 7, 2014

Empty Wells

     Drip. Drip Drip. The sound of the water droplets as they splash against the side of the sink is deafening. The reverberation of the droplets resounds in my mind long after I leave the room. I can still hear the dripping as I participate in the day's activities. The constant sound of the annoying little drops rings in my ears and echos in my head, driving me past the tipping point of sanity. My unfailing ability to create a mountain out of a molehill is unveiling itself effortlessly.
     As I sit in class, trying to ignore the faithful dripping noises inside of my head, I hear something that makes the monotonous tones of falling water seem frivolous. Currently, California is experiencing a drought. The lack of rainfall is particularly harsh in the southern part of the state as they depend on it to fill their wells. Without the rainfall, the wells have begun to dry up leaving citizens water-less. The biggest issue however, lies within a complicated ethical dilemma. California is the largest almond producer in the world. In order to produce crops and export goods, companies obviously need to water these crops. The dilemma lies in this: in order to water their crops, they need to dig their wells deeper. However, if they dig their wells deeper, it actually makes the water level change for the next rainfall. Instead of refilling the wells of the citizens when it rains, the water will drain into the deeper-dug wells leaving the citizens still water-less. So who is right? The companies who need the water to supply the world with food, or the citizens who need water to survive?
     The dripping sound is gone now, yet in its place lies an uneasy emptiness, a sort of unnerving calm. Here I am, losing my sanity over the constant drip of water, yet across the country, people are suffering from a severe lack of water. In an uncomfortable juxtaposition of abundance and drought, I find myself helplessly saddened. The dripping sound has vanished from my head, but this complicated issue remains drowning my heart.

2 comments:

  1. I really like how you start with a more personal touch and then work in the issue of the California drought. I think that this helps make your relate-able while still covering the bigger issue. Also, the sensory imagery at the beginning helps to draw me in as a reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Sarah noted, I really liked that this piece started with the personal, then placed the problem in a broader context, and the sensory detail is compelling as well; over-all, great job! Although, I would have liked two things: 1) more attention to those citizens who are going through the drought, both at-large and maybe even an individualized, anecdotal touch, as you offered of yourself. And, 2) I want some links so I can learn more about the situation, and how I can possibly make a difference.

    ReplyDelete